Wednesday, September 8, 2010

34 weeks

Our little bun in the oven is getting bigger by the minute, or so it seems.  The doctor says I am measuring about 2 weeks ahead of schedule, so at 36 weeks we will have another ultrasound and check the baby's progress, and at that point he may move up my due date by up to 2 weeks.  I have mixed feelings about that.  I am getting more and more uncomfortable with increasing back pain each day, so in that sense it would be nice to have a shorter amount of time left in the pregnancy.  However, having the baby earlier means going back to work earlier, and I was hoping to have my maternity leave go right up until Christmas break.  But I know that whenever the baby is ready to come, he will come, and we will just have to be flexible and go along with it. 

Work is going pretty well.  I'm grateful to have mostly good students this year, and really only one class that seems to have very little motivation to learn.  I was worried about going back to work because of the stress that can come with teaching, but so far I haven't had too many difficult students or situations to deal with.  Probably the biggest stress for me right now is making plans for my long-term substitute.  It has been a huge ordeal trying to find someone with the right qualifications and availability.  At this point, my principal is probably going to have to petition the state dept of education to allow an exception for our situation.  I'm holding my breath and keeping my fingers crossed that they will get it worked out before the baby comes. 

In other news, my hubby's truck broke down... again!  A car with just over 50K miles on it should not be having these kind of problems and definitely not so often.  His dad took it to the dealership for us and they want to charge us over $800 to fix it.  We're getting a second opinion, and more if we have to, until we find someone who isn't going to overcharge us by 200%. 

To end on a positive note, we both passed our certifications this week.  My husband is now Security+ certified (and can keep his job), and I am now a certified online scorer for the Praxis Spanish Exam (ETS).  This means that I will have another source of income to help with the costs of the baby, and maybe eventually something I can do as a stay-at-home mom once my hubby is done with school.  :) 

4 comments:

  1. You are so right that he will come when he is ready :) I hope that you don't end up in too much pain with your back. Congratulations to you both on passing your exams! Good luck finding the right substitute, it just shows how much you care for your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Almost baby time! So excited for you. Wish I were closer to help out with the Spanish classes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heidi -
    I guess I am just 8 days ahead of you due date wise - but I am in the same boat... at my 36 week appts next week we will decide the same - whether to move my due date up. I have several other things that put me at risk however so I am looking bittersweetly at a c-section. Ugh, not what I ever wanted but trying to remain positive and flexible.
    Best of Luck to you!
    Becca Secor

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you are so close to the end!! I'm so excited for you. Hope everything works out with you getting a sub (and being able to take maternity leave until Christmas.).

    ReplyDelete