Monday, June 8, 2009

Summer vacation

Nope, no summer vacation for me this year. I decided to take a summer job and coach a girls softball (10 and under) team. I'm working as an HR Specialist for a Summer Youth Employment Program. I had 2 weeks of training before giving a week-long orientation to 2 groups of participants (16-17 yrs/18-24 yrs). It was supposed to be a 30-hr per week job, but last week I worked 50 hours. This week I am working on getting employers to sign worksite agreements so that the youth can start working. Some days I question my choice to work for the summer, especially when I think about all the things that I am not going to be able to do. I just have to remind myself that this is a good program and I can do some good by helping these youth get some work experience and help prepare them for the future. And the money doesn't hurt either. This will take a big chunk out of the loans and debts that I am trying to get rid of.

Don't worry, I am still taking time to have a social life. A good friend of mine moved to town, so we have been hanging out more. And I met a new guy that I have been out with a few times. We're still getting to know each other, but I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on the getting to know someone new. I am in that stage as well, and it can be a little scary :)
    Sounds like you have a busy summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are enjoying your summer job even though you miss out on some other things. Good luck with the new guy--hope you find enjoyment there as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so we are not moving to Lansing in the end, but Piper. Are you sad? Is the guy on your facebook photo the person you are hanging out with?

    ReplyDelete